Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Goin' way way back: Mac Weekly archives

Peoples! Take that pillow from your head and put a book in it! In my exhaustive quest to archive every last shred of music writing I've gathered under my belt thus far, today inevitably takes me back to the start. Senior year of college, last semester. After 3.5 years of inactivity and non-participation (save for a semi-regular rap radio show that burned up the airwaves every weekend, at least within the 2 mile radius our signal reached), I inexplicably expressed a desire to wax poetic in our school's newspaper The Mac Weekly. Due to irresponsible arts editors I was given a free hand to review and comment on some of my favorite rappers-- De La, the Liks, OutKast and Ghostface, among others. And they even reimbursed me for CD purchases! And that brief stint as a spring freelancer launched the prolific career I presently enjoy. That summer, while idly wasting my days at the Mac library, I saw rapreviews.com had an opening...the rest is history, a history full of White Mikes, puny $50 monthly stipends, on to Rock the Bells and pimp status. So kiddies, peep game and learn how to respect the name:

http://www.themacweekly.com/home/index.cfm?q=Selbo&event=displaySearchResults&buttonPushed=1

(I apologize for the navigation and readability of these links, as Mac Weekly seems to have problems archiving...typical)

No comments: