Monday, March 10, 2008

Classic rapreviews.com platters, Vol.3: raptivisms and edutainment

Today's nostalgia trip features two jewelz (i see you O.C.!) from my early rapreviews.com output, when the kid was still pretty idealistic and wet behind these now sullied ears. Injecting plenty of my own brand of largely uninformed socioeconomic and political thought into my pieces was (and still is) a risky move, but I think I pulled it off alright (ya'll can b the judge an' jury on that count).

Dead Prez has been a shining light in the darkness since I caught that gorilla of a song "Hip Hop" back in 2000, but I was surprised at the Outlawz political awareness at the time (shouldn't have been though, considering their slain leaders nuanced stances):

http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2006_07_dopeforever.html

This second disc flew right under the radar (I never saw a copy in stores or heard anything about it before or since my review), but its a great little sampler nonetheless. I do hope my review made a few heads look at some of these artists and their cause though:

http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2006_07_restlessnatives.html

Respect due!!!

No comments: